Inductees - A to C
CARL HENRY AHRENS
Carl Ahrens was born in Winfield, near Elora, Ontario. He moved to Berlin, Ontario where he attended school until his father's death in 1875. He later lived in Winnipeg and travelled extensively in the American and Canadian west.
Returning to Berlin, Ahrens worked as a dyer in a button factory, where he began his mastery of colour. In his early twenties he began to paint from his Toronto studio. His first exhibition was at the Ontario Society of Artists in 1889. In 1891 he was elected associate painter of the Royal Canadian Academy of Arts. He later studied painting and sculpture in New York. From 1900 to 1902, Ahrens lived in New York State where he helped to start the Roycroft pottery.
In 1922, after a sojourn of several years in the U.S., Ahrens and his family moved back to Toronto, and soon after settled in a farmhouse near Galt, Ontario, which Carl named "Big Trees." Here he painted and taught, often entertaining Homer Watson, a lifelong friend. A childhood bout of tuberculosis in the hip left him an invalid in his later years, although he continued to paint until his death in 1936 at the age of 73.
CHARLES AUGUST AHRENS
Charles August Ahrens, born in Port Elgin, Ontario, the second oldest of eleven children, served three years apprenticeship at harness making with Henry Roth in Berlin, Ontario. He then went to Iowa and specialized in making fancy harness for harness racing.
While in Berlin on his honeymoon in 1882, Ahrens was persuaded by his father to join him in shoe manufacturing. A factory, specializing in men's work boots, was built at 43 Queen Street South and later a new factory was erected on Linden Street where "Chums" shoes for children were manufactured and sold nationally. Ahrens was very highly respected in his home community as a businessman and leading citizen.
Ray Alviano was born in 1934 in Guelph. He got his start in the newspaper business in 1956 at the Guelph Mercury, working as a general reporter/photographer. In 1959, Alviano was hired by the K-W Record for a position in its sports department. His career at The Record spanned 33 years. From 1968 to 1978 Alviano held the sports editor's position. He was a member of the Ontario Sportswriters and Sportscasters Association, serving two terms as president in the early 1970s.
Alviano's efforts did not go unnoticed as many local, provincial and national athletic organizations honoured him for his work. In 1981 he was inducted into the Ontario Five-Pin Bowling Association Hall of Fame.
Alviano took on the job of managing the K-W Civitan junior women's softball team in 1983 and that year they won both the provincial and national championships. It would be the start of more successful runs, as the Civitan won provincial and national honors in 1987, 1989 and 1990.
Alviano was the founding president of Kitchener Fastball Promotions founded in 1994. The mandate of the group is to bring provincial, national and international softball (fastball) events to Kitchener. Alviano's volunteerism was also significant with Kitchener Minor hockey, Kitchener Minor Girls Softball and Kitchener Minor Baseball.
He was a member of the organizing committee for five Canadian junior baseball championships from 1995 to 2000. He volunteered for the 1997 World Women's Hockey Championship and 4 Nations Cup in 2002, both held in Kitchener.
Alviano was also the media vice-chair for the 2008 Memorial Cup Junior Hockey Championship held at the Kitchener Auditorium.
NEIL P. ARMSTRONG
Beginning as a volunteer official in local minor league hockey games, Neil Armstrong progressed through the ranks and joined the National Hockey League as a lineman in 1957.
A Cambridge resident most of his life, Armstrong became known as the "Ironman" of the officiating staff en route to a twenty-season career where he officiated in 1733 regular season games, 208 Stanley Cup playoff contests and ten all-star games. Over a sixteen-year period Armstrong never missed an assignment, travelling more than 90,000 miles a season. Commended for his professional dedication and desire, he was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1991.
Following his officiating career, Armstrong served as a scout for the Montreal Canadiens.
Raffi Armenian was born in Cairo, Egypt in 1942 and immigrated to Canada in 1969.
Armenian was the Artistic Director of the Kitchener-Waterloo Symphony from 1971 to 1993. He transformed a community orchestra into a world-class professional symphony. In 1974, its professional core, the Canadian Chamber Ensemble, was formed by Armenian and it became recognized as one of the premier ensembles in North America with tours that took it all over the world.
Recognizing the need for a performance space that would complement the professional orchestra, Armenian was instrumental in the building of the Centre in the Square in Kitchener, one of Canada's finest performance halls where opera, choral, ballet, theatre and other groups perform.
Armenian's work has been recognized with countless honours including an Emmy Award Nomination for a television opera starring Maureen Forrester. He is a Member of the Order of Canada and has honourary doctorates from the University of Waterloo and Wilfrid Laurier University.
In 1999 he became Director of Orchestral Studies at the University of Toronto. He has also held several other professorships in Canada and Europe.
JOHN G. ASHLEY
John Ashley was born in Galt and lived in Preston until Grade 12. John played minor hockey in Preston and later he played for the Toronto Marlboros and the Guelph Biltmores. Ashley signed a contract with the Toronto Maple Leafs in 1950, and in the ensuing three years, played for their Pittsburgh farm team in the AHL. Ashley sought and gained reinstatement as an amateur in 1954. He then played three years with Stratford in Senior A hockey.
Ashley became interested in officiating in 1957. By 1959 he signed a contract to officiate in the NHL. Ashley spent eighteen years in the NHL - thirteen as a referee and five as a scout and councillor to referees.
Ashley refereed 1075 games. Of this, 622 were regular NHL games and fifty-eight were NHL play-off games. In the last eight of his thirteen on-ice seasons, Ashley was rated the NHL's number one referee. Ashley's overall record in Stanley Cup play-offs was one of high quality performance, under sustained pressure, over a period of ten years.
On September 15, 1981, Ashley was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame.
Don Awrey was born in Kitchener. At the age of sixteen he was a member of the Waterloo Siskins team which won the Ontario Hockey Association Championship in 1959-60. He played Junior A for the Niagara Falls Flyers from 1961 to 1964, a team which reached the Canadian finals in his last year.
Awrey signed with the Boston Bruins when he was twenty and played on two Stanley Cup winning teams. He was chosen to play for Team Canada against the Russians in 1972.
Awrey was named a member of the Western All Stars while playing for the St. Louis Blues in 1973-74. He was playing for the Montreal Canadiens in 1975 when they won the Stanley Cup. He also played for the Pittsburgh Penguins, New York Rangers and Colorado Rockies. Awrey ran a hockey school in the off-season.
Awrey retired from the NHL in 1979, having played nearly 1,000 games.
Jacob Baetz, born near Niederaulau, Germany, came to Canada in 1868 and had a family of nine children.
He worked for Casper Braun as a stonemason, bricklayer, and plasterer; trades he had learned from his father. Baetz became a building contractor and built the 1907 Berlin market building, Victoria Public School, Trinity, St. Andrew's and St. Matthew's churches, and many other buildings.
With R. Boehmer, Baetz founded and operated the Berlin Brick Company on King Street East and in 1907 became owner of the Pommer-Cowan Furniture Company, later Baetz Furniture Limited. This factory was destroyed by fire in 1910 and he then built the Baetz factory still in use in 1973.
Baetz was treasurer of St. Matthew's Church for many years from the time the church was built. During the 1890s he was a town councillor and was chairman of the Board of Works when the first steam road roller was purchased.
John Bain was born in Galt and began his baseball career with the Galt Pickards Juveniles (Ontario Champions in 1937) and later with the OBAA Senior Welland Nationals of the Niagara District League before World War II. He joined the RCAF in 1942, where he served for four years, including service in England and continental Europe.
After the War, Bain returned to play with Galt in 1946 and Kitchener from 1947 to 1950. In 1946, he led the Intercounty League in runs scored (29); in 1947, he led the League in stolen bases (21) and runs scored (31); in 1948, he led the League in triples (7) and number of hits (52). His batting average was consistently in the 333 to 350 range over his years in baseball. In 1948, he was voted Most Valuable Player in the Intercounty League by team managers and coaches.
Bain earned his BA at McMaster University, a teacher's certificate from the Hamilton Normal School and a BEd from the University of Toronto. He holds an Elementary School Inspector's Certificate. In 1950, he began a teaching career with the Kitchener Board of Education, Elementary Public Schools, serving firstly as classroom teacher, and, later, as Supervisor of English. In 1955, Bain joined the staff of the Hamilton Teachers' College as Master of English. In 1963, he was appointed Principal of the Toronto Teachers' College and, in 1966, was appointed Assistant Director, Teacher Education Branch of the Ontario Department of Education.
Bain was married in 1946 to Verna Allen of Galt; they have two daughters and five grandchildren.
James "Jim" Redpath Barrie's rural roots began in 1924. He received his early education at Dickie Settlement School and later attended Galt Collegiate Institute and Vocational School.
From his earliest years, Barrie belonged to many organizations including 4H, Junior Farmers Club, South Waterloo Agricultural Society, the Ploughmen's Association, Royal Agricultural Winter Fair and the Ontario Agriculture Hall of Fame. He served with the Dumfries Mutual Insurance Company, Doon Pioneer Village, Waterloo Historical Society, Central Presbyterian Church and the Probus Club. He truly was a leader in his community and Barrie was recognized as Provincial Senior of the Year in 2006.
Barrie is well known as the local historian of North Dumfries, Galt and Waterloo County. He wrote the history of Central Presbyterian Church in Galt in 1982 and was involved with the publishing of two Waterloo Historical Society books Waterloo Township through Two Centuries and Waterloo County: An Illustrated History.
He was a friendly mentor to young people who expressed an interest in one of his special areas of interest. Neither a loud-spoken man nor an attention-seeker, Barrie worked in a quiet and co-operative manner. He married Marian Henderson in 1948 and they had three children.
Jim is recognized for his commitment and dedication to his community and to the agricultural industry, both locally and provincially.
GEORGE REDPATH BARRIE
George Redpath Barrie was a distinguished agriculturist whose farm was awarded the bronze medal by the Agricultural and Arts Association in 1887 and was designated a demonstration farm for six years by the Dominion Department of Agriculture.
Born in North Dumfries Township, he was educated at the log schoolhouse, Dumfries Station. Barrie was a noted livestock breeder and cattle feeder and pioneered the feeding of cattle in loose pens. He was the first producer of registered seed grain in Waterloo County.
Secretary-Treasurer of the Grange from 1880-1886, he was a leader in the Farmers' Institute. It was on his farm, at a Farmers' Institute open meeting in 1903 that the first Women's Institute in South Waterloo was formed.
Barrie served North Dumfries Council for seventeen years, was deputy reeve from 1889 to 1891, reeve from 1892 to 1894 and was president of the South Waterloo Agricultural Society.
WILLIAM C. BARRIE
The four great-grandparents of William C. Barrie came to North Dumfries from Scotland in 1829. Born on a farm in that township, he attended Dickie Settlement School and the Ontario Agricultural College. He had a most distinguished and outstanding career in agriculture and received many awards in recognition of his work.
A director of the Ontario Plowmen's Association for fifty years, Barrie conducted the Canadian plowing team to Sweden in 1955 and was greatly in demand as a judge of plowing matches and field crops.
Barrie served on the North Dumfries Township Council, the Suburban Road Commission, and the Farmers Institute. He was president of the Waterloo Historical Society, the Ontario Agricultural and Experimental Union, the Waterloo County Crop Improvement Association, the South Waterloo Agricultural Society, the Ontario Plowmen's Association, the Central Dumfries Farmers' Club and the South Waterloo Liberal Association.
Barrie assisted in the planning and establishment of Doon Pioneer Village.
Peter Bassin was born in 1935 in Madulain, Switzerland, a country that cultivated two of his biggest passions: a devotion to athletics and a love of the culinary arts.
Bassin immigrated to Canada in 1957 after accepting employment with the Walper Hotel in Kitchener. In 1972 he created the Hospitality Management (Food and Beverage) program at Conestoga College; he headed and taught in this award-winning program for 25 years.
It was during this time that Bassin's marriage to Maggie DeGroot in 1961 cemented his love of competition - this time in sailing. After only five years of self-instruction, they won their first Canadian National Championship - the first of many more National and International titles they would garner.
In 1968, Bassin was hired at Chicopee Ski club in Kitchener as a coach. Armed with his aptitude for instruction and a drive for athletic excellence, after only four years Bassin quickly climbed the ranks at Chicopee. In 1973, now Head Coach, the Chicopee Race Program was recognized as one of Ontario's top racing clubs with many team members winning championships, titles, and a few rising to top competitive circles, participating as members of provincial and national teams.
Bassin left his position as Head Coach in 1996 to personally train the now world-renowned Kelly VanderBeek, then a promising 13-year old. With VanderBeek's natural talent Bassin cultivated her innate skills, and in 1998 VanderBeek earned her first Canadian Juvenile slalom title.
It was this work with VanderBeek that caused Bassin to be selected as Team Canada Coach for Whistler Cup and World Topolino Games, in Italy in 1998. By 2000, the Canadian Ski Coaches Federation recognized Bassin's work with top athletes and awarded him with the Award of Excellence in 2000. Not one to rest on his laurels, Bassin continued to coach the Quebec Women's Ski team in 2001, where he coached another female athlete to be selected to the Canada's Alpine Team.
Bassin now acts as a personal ski coach. It comes as no surprise that in 2003, yet another one of Bassin's athletes was named to the Ontario team.
DAVID WILLIAM BAUER CSB, CSM
Father David Bauer, a native of Kitchener, made a tremendous contribution to Canadian youth, as a teacher and in the capacity of player, manager and coach in the world of sports.
Following graduation from the University of Toronto, he was ordained a Basilian priest and taught at St. Michael's College and St. Mark's College in Vancouver, where he became Superior. He founded a monastery at St. Agatha, operated by the Carmel of St. Joseph nuns.
Father Bauer promoted the use of Canadian university students in international hockey competitions. He was Canada's Olympic coach for the 1964 games in Austria. He was awarded a gold medal for sportsmanship by the International Ice Hockey Federation.
From 1964-69 he was an advisor to Canada's national hockey teams. A director of Hockey Canada, he also served Canada's National Health and Fitness Council and was a coaching counsellor in Japan.
In 1968 he was awarded the Order of Merit of Canada and in 1973 was named to Canada's Sports Hall of Fame.
ROBERT T. "BOBBY" BAUER
Bobby Bauer, born in Waterloo, started his hockey career in the Twin Cities organization where he played with Milt Schmidt and Woody Dumart who later formed the "Kraut" line.
After playing for St. Mikes and the Kitchener Juniors, who won the OHA Jr. Championship in 1935, Bauer played for the Boston Bruins from 1937-1947. During these years, the Bruins won the Stanley Cup twice. He won the Lady Byng Trophy for good sportsmanship and gentlemanly play in 1940, 1941, and 1947.
Bauer served in the RCAF from 1942-46. After WWII, the "Kraut" line was reunited and the RCAF won the Allan Cup Championship. His best year in the NHL was in 1946-47 when he scored 30 goals and 24 assists in a 60 game schedule.
He served as a player, coach, manager and on the executive of the Kitchener Dutchmen Hockey Team in the Senior OHA and was president when the team won the Allan Cup in 1953 and 1955.
THE REV. JOHN BAYNE DD
The Rev. John Bayne, minister of St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church, Galt, was responsible for the establishment of the (Free) Presbyterian Church of Canada as apart from the Church of Scotland.
A native of Greenock, Scotland, Bayne was a graduate of Glasgow University and the University of Edinburgh. He was a powerful preacher and attracted Presbyterians who were settling within fifteen miles of Galt. When the split in the Presbyterian Church occurred, the majority in his congregation followed Bayne to his new church. A civil court ruled that the buildings, glebe and monies of St. Andrew's were for the use of the minority group, and the dissidents, who were in the majority, built a church on the corner of Dickson and Ainslie Streets, and called it Knox's Presbyterian Church.
Union College in Schenectady, New York, recognized the accomplishments of Bayne by conferring on him the honorary degree of Doctor of Divinity.
FLORENCE DIAMOND BEAN
Florence Fallis was born in 1910 in Minto Township, Wellington County. After taking a secretarial course in Toronto, she moved to Wilmot Township, where she married Clarence Diamond.
Bean rose to executive positions on the provincial and national level of the Women's Institute. She served as provincial public relations officer and was president of the Federated Women's Institutes of Ontario from 1977 to 1980. She took a leadership role in conferences of the Associated Country Women of the World.
She was active in the Waterloo Farm and Home Safety Council, the Wilmot Agricultural Society, the Wilmot Horticultural Society, the Waterloo Historical Society, the Haysville Sunshine Club and was clerk of session for Zion United Church, New Hamburg.
Bean was Haysville correspondent for the K-W Record for thirty years, having commenced her media career at radio station CFRB, Toronto. Honours include the Jubilee Medal and Wilmot Citizen of the Year 1990. She was widely known as "a good neighbour." She was married to Ellworth Bean.
WALTER ALEXANDER BEAN CBE, ED, CD
Kitchener native, Walter A. Bean graduated from the University of Toronto in 1930.
Commissioned in the Scots Fusiliers of Canada, he volunteered for overseas service in 1940 with the Highland Light Infantry of Canada attaining the rank of Brigadier by June 1945. He served as a senior staff officer in the United Kingdom, North Africa, and in the Pacific Theatre. Later he commanded the Canadian Pacific force headquarters and later the 2nd Infantry Brigade Militia.
Bean was made a Commander of the Order of the British Empire and was awarded the Efficiency Decoration and the Canada Decoration.
Bean served as president of the Kitchener Chamber of Commerce, the Gyro Club and was KW Citizen of the Year in 1973. He served the Waterloo Trust in various executive capacities becoming Deputy Chairman and vice-president of Canada Trust. He was Chairman and/or director of many local and national financial and industrial organizations.
JESSIE L. BEATTIE
Jessie L. Beattie, a noted Canadian author, was born at Blair, Ontario, and two of her twenty books, Along the Way and A Season Past, recall life in the pioneer home and village in which she grew up. Educated at Tassie Hall, Galt, the University of Buffalo and the University of Toronto, she taught school, spent six years in library work, two years in corrective educational work with the provincial government, one-and-a-half years as Director of Recreation, Community Welfare Council, and conducted a private school in Blair for four years.
Beattie wrote and produced several plays but is best known for her novels, biographies, books on travel, short stories and poetry. Strength for the Bridge is a deeply researched novel treating sympathetically the plight of the Japanese in Canada during World War II. In spite of poor health and eventual loss of her sight, Beattie continued writing through the years and received wide acclaim for her breadth of vision and the quality of her literary accomplishments.
SIR ADAM BECK
It was an historic and exciting day on October 11, 1910, when the streets of Berlin were first illuminated with hydroelectric power from Niagara.
In 1886, Berlin businessman, D.B. Detweiler, conceived the idea of bringing electricity, generated at Niagara, to southwestern Ontario. Travelling on a bicycle, he continuously promoted the project, and his endeavours brought him the title of "Committee of One."
St. Jacob's industrialist, E.W.B. Snider, constantly and enthusiastically promoted the idea and to these men belong great credit for their tremendous achievements in bringing low-cost public power to this area.
They were assisted greatly by Sir Adam Beck, born in Baden in 1857, a distinguished citizen and politician, MPP 1902-1919 and 1923-1925, who became the first chairman of the Ontario Hydro Power Commission, and retained that position until his death in 1925.
A master mechanical genius, Jacob Beck, born in Baden, Germany, came to Waterloo Township in 1837. He opened a smelting furnace at New Hope (Hespeler), and later established an iron works on Spring Creek, Preston. He invented a turbine water wheel and in partnership with John Clare and Valentine Wahn manufactured stoves at Preston.
In 1854 Beck located a good source of water power on Spring Creek in Wilmot Township and purchased 200 acres. He erected a gristmill and foundry. He subdivided his farm in 1856, sold lots and developed Baden.
Beck was a member of the first board for the 1839 school in Preston, village councillor, councillor Wilmot Township from 1860 to 1864 and Baden postmaster from 1854 to1879. In 1863 he gave the community the deed for land with the courthouse on it for one dollar. This building served as Wilmot Township Hall until 1867 and is now at Black Creek Pioneer Village, Toronto.
EGON BEILER DDS
One of the world's top wrestlers for a decade, Egon Beiler competed in four different weight classes before retiring in 1981. He won gold medals in the Commonwealth Games in Christ Church, New Zealand (1974) and Edmonton (1978) and in the Pan American Games, Mexico City (1975). He reached the pinnacle of his sport when he captured the top spot in the World Cup competition in Toledo, Ohio (1976). He competed mainly in the 60-kilogram division.
Beiler, born in Kitchener in 1953, wrestled for St. Jerome's High School and for the University of Western Ontario. As a junior wrestler, he won a bronze medal in the world junior championships. He held eight Canadian titles. A winner of the 1980 Olympic trials, he was named to the team that would have represented Canada in Moscow. After retiring, he became a coach. Beiler practices dentistry in Kitchener.
For more than 70 years, Charles Belair, the dean of photography in Kitchener-Waterloo, created more than 22,200 images of people, including prime ministers and multiple generations of local families. He also photographed several thousand locally-produced products leaving a pictorial record of the history of this community.
Born in Lynn, Massachusetts in 1914, Belair moved to Kitchener with his mother in the early 1920s to join his father who had immigrated here to take a job at the Lang Tanning Company.
Belair completed his primary education in Kitchener and then attended Kitchener-Waterloo Collegiate and Vocational School in the technical program where he specialized in drafting. It was at KWC&VS that he began taking pictures for The Grumbler, the school year book.
Unable to find a drafting job, Belair worked for a local photographer and bought the business in 1939, the same year his photograph of the Royal visit of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth made the front page of the Kitchener Daily Record.
In 1982, Belair was named a Paul Harris Fellow by the Rotary Foundation of Rotary International. In 2000, Belair was named an Honourary Senior Fellow by Renison College, University of Waterloo for his contribution to the community.
In 2002, Belair was awarded the Queen Elizabeth II Golden Jubilee Medal, as well as the K-W Arts Award for Lifetime Achievement recognizing his contribution to the cultural vitality of Waterloo Region.
A member of the Kitchener Rotary Club for more than 60 years, in 2007 Belair and his wife Keiko established the Keiko and Charles Belair Centre for East Asian Studies at Renison College, University of Waterloo.
THE BERLIN BOWLING CLUB
W.D. Euler - Skip, H. Boehmer - Second, W.G. Cleghorn - Lead, H.J.
Sims - Vice Skip
The popularity of lawn bowling as a summer sport increased considerably in this area with the formation of The Berlin Bowling Club in April 1902, with Judge Chisholm as president. A lawn bowling area was created at the rear of the Court House and in 1905 the Club joined the Ontario and the Western Lawn Bowling Associations.
The Club provided good facilities and organization for a large number of local players and friendly competition with other clubs in the province and beyond. Rinks were selected to play against visitors from Great Britain in 1906. A club rink consisting of W. D. Euler, H. J. Sims, Herman Boehmer and W. G. Cleghorn won the Ontario Championship in 1909 and 1913, and the Dominion Championship in 1913. Club rinks skipped by Ed Wettlaufer successfully competed for many years int the Annual Tournament in Buffalo. A rink of Messrs. Euler, Sims, and Cleghorn did well in the British Empire Games in England in 1936 and several of the Club's best players toured Great Britain in 1913, 1924 and 1926.
Lorna (Shantz) Bergey was born in Wilmot Township in 1921 and became one of Waterloo Region's most respected Mennonite historians. Although her formal education ended after Grade 8, Bergey always enjoyed books and collecting information. Through visits with family members, church and community events, she was exposed to verbal accounts and the folk history of Waterloo County and the Pennsylvania Germans. Thus began the foundation of her extensive knowledge, detailed stories and historical facts connecting people, places and events.
In the 1960s Bergey expanded her involvement in historical organizations. In response to invitations, she began preparing articles for publications and talks at family reunions.
Bergey held leadership positions in many organizations including the Waterloo Historical Society, Doon Heritage Crossroads, the Historical Committee of the Mennonite Church of North America and the Pennsylvania German Folklore Society of Waterloo and Ontario.
Her accomplishments and awards include the Joseph Schneider Haus Volunteer Award (1993), Kitchener Seniors Advisory Council Award of Distinction (1999), Waterloo Regional Heritage Foundation Award of Excellence (2001) and the Mennonite Historical Society of Canada Award of Excellence (2007).
The first frame house in Wilmot Township was built by this native of Reuebruegg, Switzerland who arrived in 1830. He was a tax collector, a constable and a magistrate. He served for eight years as a Wilmot Township councillor in Wellington District and was the first reeve of Wilmot Township in 1850. He was a charter member of the Wilmot Agricultural Society in 1853 and he was appointed a captain in the Wilmot Township Militia.
Bettschen is remembered as the promoter of library services for the Township in 1853. In 1859 this developed into a travelling library which placed 150 books in each of the five wards and the books were exchanged every four months.
THOMAS D. BEYNON QC
Born in Kitchener in 1941, Thomas D. Beynon graduated from Queen's University (Mechanical Engineering) in 1965 and from the University of Saskatchewan (Law) in 1968. Beynon started his Canadian Football League career with the Saskatchewan Roughriders in 1966 when they won the Grey Cup. Two years later he was traded to the Ottawa Roughriders, winners of the Grey Cup in 1968 and 1969. He retired in 1970 after an injury. He provided legal services to the Canadian Amateur Football Association for a number of years and was chairman of the Vanier Cup Championship (for university football) in 1982 and 1983.
Beynon articled with a law firm in Ottawa in 1968, later moving, to become a partner of a firm in Toronto. He was made a Queen's Counsel in 1983. Since 1986 he has been President and Chief Executive Officer of Waterloo Micro Systems Inc.
REV. F.W. BINDEMANN
An unconventional figure, in the person of the Rev. F.W. Bindemann, came into the early religious life of Waterloo County in 1834. Rev. Bindemann, a native of Koethen, Potsdam, Prussia, was a "free-thinker" and did not hesitate to express his independent opinions.
Rev. Bindemann organized the Lutherans of the area, forming several congregations, including St. Paul's Church, Berlin, in 1835. He is said to have not been "Spiritually minded," but by precept and example impressed on the people the value of the virtues of honesty and neighborliness. His interesting remarks in his written records of births, marriages and deaths were often very amusing. He was known as the "marrying preacher."
He died on November 29, 1865 and was buried in the Mennonite cemetery by a Swedenborgian minister.
The man who started the World Boxing Council Heavyweight Champion Lennox Lewis on his career as a junior boxer in Kitchener, Arnold Boehm made a notable contribution to the youth of the Region of Waterloo through his involvement as a coach with the Waterloo Regional Police Association Boxing Club. Born in Wellesley Township in 1933, one of a family of eleven, he boxed as an amateur in his youth and then worked with Hook McComb in coaching the Police Club boxers.
Boehm was a coach of the Canadian team at the World Junior Championships in the Dominican Republic in 1983 when Lewis won a World title. He helped coach the Canadian team at the Los Angeles Olympics and the North American team at the World Cup IV in Korea in 1985. He coached many more aspiring boxers in the community, including Chris Johnson, a bronze medalist at the 1992 Olympics in Barcelona.
In 1982 Boehm was named Boxing Ontario's "Coach of the Year," was inducted into the Canadian Boxing Hall of Fame in 1989 and received a Canada 125 Award in 1992. Boehm passed away on October 9, 2002.
CHARLES HARRY BOEHMER
C.H. "Carlo" Boehmer of Berlin achieved fame as an amateur hockey player, an opera singer and an industrialist.
He was a well-known hockey star and played football while attending the University of Toronto.
Possessing a splendid voice, in 1906 he began to study comic and grand opera in Milan, Italy. He was a close friend of Enrico Caruso and Edward Johnson, at one time head of the Metropolitan Opera Company. He lived with Johnson in New York in 1902 and 1903 when they were both studying voice. He gave concerts in Italy and the United States. His success in Italian opera was spectacular and he toured South America with an Italian opera company. He was engaged by the Chicago Opera Company in 1919.
In his later years Boehmer returned to Kitchener and joined the family business, A & C Boehmer Box Company, later becoming president.
He was active in many community organizations.
Kurt Boese was one of the area's outstanding wrestlers and coaches for a period of some 24 years from 1954 to 1978.
Boese won five Canadian Championships: 1958, 1959, 1960, 1962 and 1963. In 1960 Boese won both Greco-Roman and Freestyle championships. His weight class was welterweight.
He represented Canada in the Commonwealth Games in 1958; the Olympic Games in 1960; the Commonwealth Games in 1962; and the Pan American Games in 1963. Boese won bronze medals in the Commonwealth Games of 1962 and the Pan American Games of 1963. In addition to these accomplishments, Kurt won numerous YMCA championships.
Boese made outstanding contributions in the coaching field. From 1954 to 1970 he was head coach of the Kitchener YMCA. In 1967, Boese coached the Ontario team in the first Canadian Winter Games. They won the championship.
From 1970 to 1978 Boese was the head coach of the University of Waterloo wrestling teams. In 1972 he was the Olympic wrestling coach for the Munich Olympic Games. In 1979 Kurt Boese was elected to the Canadian Amateur Wrestling Hall of Fame.
WILLIAM (BILL) BOETTGER
Bill Boettger was born and raised in Kitchener. After graduating from Kitchener Collegiate Institute, Boettger received a Bachelor of Science from the University of Waterloo, and a teacher's certificate from the University of Toronto. He was the Assistant Head of Mathematics at Eastwood Collegiate and taught mathematics there for 31 years.
Boettger is known as Canada's most internationally decorated lawn bowler, and the first to bring home a gold medal. He began his involvement with bowling while working as a pin boy at a local bowling alley. Boettger was a member of the Ontario men's championship 5 Pin Bowling team, winning a silver medal at the Canadian championships. His skill as a bowler led to his winning a gold medal at the Canadian Masters singles title in 1974. In his final game in the pin boy league, he rolled a perfect game of 450 points.
In addition to his skill as an athlete, Boettger wrote the lesson plans and curricula for 5 Pin Bowling, which is still being used today. He served various roles with the Master Bowlers Association of Ontario, including Treasurer and President. He was inducted into the Builders Division of the Ontario 5 Pin Bowler's Association in 1997.
Boettger was a member of the Canadian Lawn Bowling team for eighteen years, representing Canada twenty-five times. He was a Canadian Champion and won two silver medals at the Commonwealth Games and silver and bronze medals at the world championships. In 1991, at the South Pacific Bowls, he was named top bowler of the competition as he brought home gold in the singles, pairs, and fours. Boettger was National Coach for Bowls for four years. In the world of lawn bowling, he was known to many as Captain Canada.
Boettger paired up with Brian Williams at the 1978 Commonwealth Games in Edmonton to provide the colour commentary for lawn bowling for the CBC.
Boettger was instrumental in the creation and operation of the Heritage Lawn Bowling Facility and served as its treasurer from its inception. In 1999, he chaired the National Championships Hosting Committee. The National Championships in 2005 in Kitchener, and Woodstock were named in his honour.
Boettger wrote several level one and two coaching manuals. He was a level three coach.
Boettger is survived by his partner, Bev Bayus and a large extended family.
Margaret Cumming was born in Pilkington Township, Wellington County in 1921. She won the Elora High School's Ballard Scholarship as best overall student in 1939. She graduated from Hamilton Normal School (1941) and Wilfrid Laurier University (1974) with a Bachelor of Arts. She taught school for many years and was a friend to all her students.
When she was president of the Elmira Horticultural Society, Bolender spearheaded the planting of a butterfly garden at the Elmira Branch of the Waterloo Regional Library. She encourages children with disabilities to take part in gardening. Bolender is a Master Gardener and a flower and vegetable judge. She was the first woman president of the Elmira Fair Board and is president of the Waterloo North District Women's Institute (1996-98).
Bolender received the Bicentennial Certificate of Merit from the Province of Ontario (1984), the Ontario Horticultural Association service award (1990) and the Oktoberfest Senior Citizen of the Year Award (1997). She has also received an award from the Ontario Women's Institute (FWIO) in 1997. She is a member of the Woolwich Healthy Communities where she is involved in the sustainability group. She is an active member of Trinity United Church, Elmira.
DAVID SOVEREIGN BOWLBY MD
Dr. D.S. Bowlby, physician and surgeon, practiced in Berlin from 1853 to 1903, often driving fifteen to twenty miles by horses and buggy to treat a patient, was a perfect example of the old-time family doctor. It was said that his very appearance at a bedside often brought immediate improvement. Because of his skillfulness and sympathetic attitude, he developed a very large practice.
Dr. Bowlby was the son of a pioneer, Adam Bowlby, and was born in the Township of Townsend, Norfolk County. He was educated at Upper Canada College, the University of Toronto, the Toronto School of Medicine and the College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York.
Bowlby was a member of the Berlin Village Council, chairman of the board of trustees of the Berlin High School for twenty-five years, and chairman of the Reform Association of North Waterloo.
WARD HAMILTON BOWLBY KC
Ward Hamilton Bowlby, a prominent lawyer in Berlin and Waterloo County Crown Attorney for half-a-century, won the first gold medal in law awarded by the University of Toronto. A traveller of note, he wrote a book on his experiences during a trip up the Nile in 1899.
He attended Upper Canada College and the University of Toronto, from which he graduated in arts in 1856 and in law in 1858. He was a senior partner in the law firm of Bowlby, Colquhoun, and Clement, later Bowlby and Clement, from 1858 to 1903. A sound lawyer, a reliable counsellor and a trenchant prosecutor, he argued many important cases in the High Court at Toronto and the Supreme Court at Ottawa.
Bowlby was a member of the town and county councils, Reeve of Berlin from 1863 to 1868 and for thirty years was a member of the Public School Board.
AMOS B. BOWMAN
Amos B. Bowman was born at Blair, but soon after, his parents moved to Ohio. Later he had a very distinguished career as a renowned scientist in Canada and the United States.
Following university studies in Germany, he graduated as a civil and mining engineer, and travelled in Europe writing articles for the New York Tribune.
An outstanding authority on geology, he had charge of a five-year California geological survey. He then joined an official Canadian geological survey, surveying the Cariboo mining region, and prepared reports on many sections of British Columbia.
Bowman promoted the interests of Fidalgo Island in British Columbia, whose possibilities impressed him. In recognition of his services, the town of Anacortes was named after his wife, Anna Curtis Bowman. He published a newspaper, and gave liberally in land to induce the building of a railroad up the Skagit Valley.
It was said of this outstanding scientist that "he often impoverished himself to enrich others."
ISAAC ERB BOWMAN
Isaac Erb Bowman was one of the most prominent and competent politicians and businessmen in Waterloo County's history. Born on a St. Jacobs's farm, he was educated at the local public school and Rockwood Academy and taught school for ten years. He lived in St. Jacobs for most of his life. In his early years he was a municipal clerk, treasurer of Woolwich Township and St. Jacobs postmaster.
In 1864 he was elected as a Liberal to the last parliament of old Canada, and represented with distinction the north riding of Waterloo from 1864 to1878 and from 1887 to1896.
Bowman was senior member of the firm of Bowman and Zinkan that operated tanneries in St. Jacobs, Port Elgin and Southampton. He was one of the founders of the Ontario Mutual Life Assurance Company (now the Mutual Life Assurance Company of Canada) and was president from 1870 to 1897. He was also president of the Mercantile Fire Insurance Company.
Isaiah Bowman was born in Waterloo County of Pennsylvania German parents, who moved to Michigan when he was a small child.
His great scholastic achievements won for him distinction in many fields and he became known as one of the world's foremost geographers. A graduate of Harvard and Yale Universities, he became a professor at Yale. He led expeditions to South America in 1907 and 1913 and served as geographer and geologist on a Peruvian expedition in 1911.
He was President of Johns Hopkins University from 1935 to 1948.
Bowman accompanied the American delegation to the Peace Conference following World War I and was adviser to Presidents Wilson and Roosevelt. He also took part in the World Security Conference in Dunbarton Oaks in 1944.
In honour of his memory and in recognition of his many accomplishments, the University of Waterloo named its Social Science Building, "The Isaiah Bowman Building."
Brian Bradley is a Kitchener native and started playing minor hockey at the age of six. At 10, Bradley played on the Bauer Krauts Atom AAA team scoring 185 points in one season with 119 goals and 66 assists.
Bradley was drafted into the Ontario Hockey League as minor midget and played one season with Guelph and three with the London Knights. Bradley played for Team Canada in 1985 that won a gold medal in the World Junior Championships and he was selected to the World All-Star Team.
Between 1985 and 1997, Bradley played in the National Hockey League for Calgary, Vancouver, Toronto and Tampa Bay, scoring 503 points in 651 games, with 182 goals and 321 assists. He spent the 1987-88 season with Canada's Olympic Hockey Team and played seven games in the Winter Olympics. Bradley played in the NHL All-Star Game in 1993 and 1994. His best NHL season was 1992-93 with the Tampa Bay Lightning, scoring 42 goals and 44 assists.
Bradley now lives in Tampa Bay, Florida with his wife Carrie and their three children.
John Bramm was Berlin's first brickmaker, his factory being located on the land on which Zion United Church, Weber Street, was built. He started the factory in 1845, the year in which he came from Germany.
The bricks for wells, houses and stores were taken to their location by a team of oxen. 500 bricks sold for $3.75. In 1880 Bramm employed six men, their weekly wages totalling $40.
In 1898 Bramm purchased the Doering steam grist mill on Queen Street South and operated it with his sons. Hundreds of cords of wood were purchased from local farmers for the operation of the mill and brickyard. The Bramm brothers operated the mill until 1907 and it is, in 1972, the Kissner Milling Company.
Bramm was also a private banker, lending money at interest rates of 6 ½ to 7%.
Casper Braun, when an infant, came to Berlin with his parents. His father Henry Braun, was a mason and built homes in this community. Casper also became a contractor and, as well as homes, built portions of the Uniroyal building, the original Ames, Holden, McCready Rubber plant (later B.F. Goodrich Canada Limited), the Cluett Peabody, Lang Tanning and Krug Furniture plants and many other industrial buildings.
He also built King Edward School and additions to Victoria School and Suddaby School, as well as St. Mary's, Calvary Memorial and the Sunday school addition of Zion Evangelical (United) churches and the first large apartment building in Kitchener, the York apartments. He also had a large monument business and owned and operated the Ott Brick and Tile Manufacturing Company.
Braun was a member of Kitchener Council for nine years and the Water Commission for twenty-nine years. He was also a trustee of Zion Evangelical Church for many years.
Louis Breithaupt, who started the first tannery in Berlin in 1857, at one time used the services of Abraham Lincoln, then a Springfield, Illinois lawyer.
The fifth generation of Breithaupts in the tanning industry, he was associated with his father in business in Buffalo. During one of his trips to Canada to buy sheepskins, he met and eventually married Catherine Hailer of Berlin. In 1861 they came to Berlin to reside and later moved into a spacious home named Waldeck. A number of their descendants became distinguished and famous citizens.
Breithaupt's life was one of unremitting activity and indomitable perseverance. His tannery was destroyed by fire in 1867 and again in 1870 but he rebuilt and continued to develop a large business. He was called the "first citizen of Berlin" for his work in furthering the growth of the town and his municipal activities, including two years as mayor.
THE HON. LOUIS ORVILLE BREITHAUPT
Louis Orville Breithaupt earned the title of the city's "most eminent citizen" when he became Lieutenant-Governor of Ontario in 1952. He served the office with distinction until 1957.
His father, Louis Jacob Breithaupt, was a prominent industrialist, operating the Breithaupt Leather Company. Following graduation from the University of Toronto, Breithaupt entered his father's business, became vice-president and general manager, and, later, president.
He was an alderman for four years and in 1923, at age thirty-two, became the youngest mayor in the city's history - and the third generation of his family to serve in that office. Many local organizations received the benefit of his executive guidance. He had been governor of McMaster University, Hamilton and the chancellor of Victoria University, Toronto.
He was elected Liberal member for Waterloo North in 1940, 1945 and 1949.
His personal qualities and interest in humanity made him a beloved citizen.
WILLIAM HENRY BREITHAUPT
William Henry Breithaupt, an extremely accomplished civil engineer, was a builder of railway bridges on this continent and the author of many technical papers.
Born in Buffalo in 1857 to Louis and Catherine Breithaupt (later citizens of Berlin), he took up residence here in 1900 and promoted the family interests - the Berlin and Waterloo Railway, and the Berlin Gas Works - and built a rail line to Bridgeport. First chairman of the City Planning Commission, he brought in a famous New York town planning expert for consultation. He visited the Carnegie Foundation in New York, successfully seeking funds for the Berlin Library on three occasions.
Breithaupt served as president of the Ontario Historical Society, was first president of the Waterloo Historical Society and a founder of the Waterloo County Pioneers' Memorial Association that erected the Pioneers' Memorial Tower near Preston. The first to propose flood control, Breithaupt also pioneered Grand River Conservation.
BRESLAU MERCHANTS SOFTBALL TEAM
Breslau Merchants were a senior softball team that competed in the North Waterloo Rural Softball League. This was an outlaw league with orthodox pitching, legal balk, hidden ball trick and lead offs. All players had to be residents or employed in the community in which they played. The league ran for 60 years from 1931 to 1991 - the oldest continuous organized softball league in Canada.
In 1947 the team acquired land, and along with local store owner Roy Schiedel, they collected money from businesses and residents to turn the land into a ballpark. They ploughed, seeded, and built fences and backstops. Schiedel sponsored the team providing uniforms and gear. Players volunteered their time and money to care for and improve the ballpark. In 1964 the Breslau Recreation Association was formed and assumed ownership of the ballpark.
Breslau Merchants won the North Waterloo Rural Championship in 1945 and 1948, and from 1951 to 1960 they won 10 consecutive championships. They also won in 1971, 1972 and 1978.
Cliff Bricker was born in St. George, Ontario but lived most of his life in Galt.
Bricker started in the sport of running in 1923 and during his career which ended in retirement in the mid 1930s he ran in hundreds of races across Canada and the USA. He specialized in the marathon (26 miles-385 yards) but also ran in other long distance events.
In 1927 he won the British Empire Games marathon which automatically placed him on the Canadian Olympic Games team which competed in Amsterdam in 1928 and in which race he finished tenth. In the same year, he finished third in the British Empire games held at London, Ontario.
Bricker was considered to be an extremely good scientific runner, always competing against the clock rather than against his opponents. Using this procedure he was spectacular in some of his victories.
Samuel Bricker was one of several German speaking Mennonites who came with their families to Waterloo Township from Pennsylvania in 1802. He purchased land north of the present Freeport, on the east bank of the Grand River. In 1803 these settlers learned that the mortgage on their lands was going to be foreclosed. An appeal for funds was made to relatives in Pennsylvania and a fictionalized account of Bricker's efforts to raise this money is contained in The Trail of the Conestoga by B. Mabel Dunham.
The German Land Company was formed in 1805, paid off the mortgage of approximately $10,000 and obtained clear title to 60,000 acres of land. The German Company Tract was settled by the stockholders and their children during the years 1805-1825.
Peter Brill was born in 1943 in Kitchener and had a long association with the Waterloo Siskins Junior "B" Hockey Team as a player and general manager.
Brill was a player on two Waterloo Siskins Sutherland Cup Championship teams in 1960 and 1962. He was General Manager for Waterloo Siskins Sutherland Cup Championship teams in 1984, 1985, 1988 and 1991. He also served as General Manager for the Cambridge Winter Hawks who won Sutherland Cups in 2000, 2006 and 2007. Brill is regarded as one of the premier architects of Junior "B" hockey teams in Ontario for more than 30 years.
Brill also served as Director of Scouting for the Ontario Hockey League London Knights and Sudbury Wolves. He was a Scout for the Los Angeles Kings from 1995 to 1997.
He was Director of Hockey Operations for Team Ontario Under 17 that won the World Championship Gold Medal in 1995.
Brill was inducted into the Waterloo Hockey Wall of Fame in 1996. He has been honoured by the Ontario Hockey Association with their Gold Stick Award in 2004 and with the Ontario Hockey Federation's Past President's Honour Award in 2004.
A native of Waterloo who started skiing on the hills of Collingwood as a three year old, Todd Brooker went on to fame and glory on the world downhill skiing scene.
In 1972 at the age of thirteen, Brooker served notice of his skiing potential at the Canadian Juvenile Skiing Championships when he placed first in the downhill, second in the slalom, third in the giant slalom and finished first overall. He joined the National Team in 1977.
In 1982, starting the year ranked ninety-seven in the world in downhill, Brooker finished the year with a ranking of seventh. In 1983, he won World Cup downhill races at the famous Hahnenkahm in Austria, was second at Aspen, Colorado and finished the season ranked the number one downhill skier in the world.
Injuries in 1984 and 1986 curtailed his performances but he won another World Cup downhill race at Furano in Japan in 1985. He retired in 1987 but has continued his association with the sport as a television commentator and analyst.
ALBERT ERNEST BROOME MD
Doon Pioneer Village, now Doon Heritage Village, is a monument to the memory of Dr. A.E. Broome, a Kitchener physician and radiologist who conceived the idea while visiting a pioneer community near Arnhem in Holland. He spent countless hours visiting curators of similar museums in the USA, promoting the idea, raising funds and forming a board that eventually acquired land. The first buildings were brought to the site before ill health forced his retirement.
Dr. Broome, who was born in Renfrew, had taught school in Saskatchewan before entering Queen's University. His education was interrupted by service with an Army Medical Corps during World War I. Contracting tuberculosis while overseas, he returned to Canada, continued his medical studies while an ambulant patient in the Kingston Sanitarium, and graduated from Queen's in 1919. He served at Petawawa and Chorley Park Military Hospitals during World War II and was awarded a Long Service and Good Conduct Medal for his outstanding work.
Born in Jackson, Mississippi, Mel Brown became one of the most sought-after session musicians on guitar and keyboards in North America.
Brown's recording career began in the mid-1960s when he recorded several albums. He also worked in television, performing on The Steve Allen Show, The Cosby Show and the Jerry Lewis Telethon. Throughout his career he performed with countless music legends in the blues, country and pop genres.
Brown came to Kitchener in 1989 to anchor the house band at a local blues night club. His appearances built a large loyal following for the blues and live musical performance in this region and his presence forever changed the musical landscape in the community.
Brown and his Kitchener-based band The Homewreckers became the flagship act on the Canadian blues label Electro-Fi Records. In 2000, Mel Brown and The Homewreckers released the album Neck Bones & Caviar, which was awarded the W.C. Handy Award for the Best Comeback Album of the Year. The same year it also won France's Blues Album of the Year. In 2001, Brown was nominated for a Juno award for Best Blues Album of the Year in Canada.
Brown's presence created a vibrant local blues scene and a growing audience for this form of music. The Kitchener Blues Festival would not exist and could not have grown to its current size as an international music festival, drawing tens of thousands to the community, without the influence of Brown.
Fred Budd was born in Ottawa and moved to Kitchener at ten years of age. Taking clarinet lessons, he joined the Waterloo Band under Professor C.F. Thiele, eventually becoming solo clarinetist. After serving five years in the Canadian Army, he built his new home in Preston and joined the Preston Legion Band. Later, he conducted the Milverton Band for six years and returned to Preston to direct the Legion Band for twenty years, retiring at age sixty.
Budd directed the Preston Opera Orchestra for twelve years and also played in the Johnny Kostigan Dance Band at The Leisure Lodge Night Club for nine years. Since retirement he has led the Galt Kiltie Band and the Ayr-Paris Band, taking the latter on an overseas trip to Germany and France.
In his conducting years in Preston, his band won first place three times in Class Two at the Canadian National Exhibition and five years in a row at the Kitchener Kiwanis Music Festival. For forty years he has led a band, comprised mostly of employees, which played annually at the Mutual Life Insurance Company Christmas party.
Photograph by John Mitchell Photography.
J. HOWARD BUTLER
J. Howard Butler, a native of the Twin Cities, played football and basketball while attending Kitchener Waterloo Collegiate Institute. He received strong support for his badminton interests as his three brothers Keith, Bill and Alan also played.
In the 1940s and 1950s the K-W Granite Club was one of the strongest clubs in the province and drew an outstanding field to the annual international invitation tournament. Butler was the club men's singles champion from 1955-1968, losing the title to his son John. He was also men's doubles champion with brother Bill from 1955-1961.
In 1966 Butler reached the finals of the US open men's senior badminton championship and the following year won the title. In 1968 he lost the final match. He is a graduate in pharmacy from the University of Toronto and lives in Waterloo.
DONALD JOSEPH CAMERON
Don Cameron was born in Summerside, Prince Edward Island in 1936. He began his career in broadcasting by announcing at the race track in Summerside. In 1956 he started work at Radio Station CJRW in Summerside. In 1957, Cameron took a job with CKTB in St. Catharines, Ontario. He came to Kitchener in 1958 as Sports Director for Radio Station CKCR and later with CKKW. In 1979 he became part of CKCO-TV Sports and continued there until his retirement in 1998.
Cameron gained much of his recognition as the voice of the Kitchener Rangers. He has been their play-by-play announcer for over thirty years. Other highlights of his broadcasting career include reporting on the KW Dutchmen from the 1960 Squaw Valley Winter Olympics, broadcasting the Memorial Cup on four different occasions and reporting on the Briar National Curling Championships, Skate Canada, the Canada Summer Games and many other national and international sporting events.
Cameron has given much to the community. He promoted local amateur sport through his radio and television broadcasts. He coached the Kitchener Kieswetter Ladies Senior Fastball Team from 1973 to 1978. In 1975, they won the Canadian Championship and in 1976 they finished second.
He has also served his community through CYO, Big Brothers, the
KW Press Club, Knights of Columbus, the Granite Club
and the Jazz Club. He is married to a very supportive wife, the former Carole Stoesser.
Kitchener-Waterloo Record Photographic Negative Collection, University of Waterloo.
Derrick Campbell was born in Cambridge in 1972. He has established himself as a world class short track speed skater.
In 1989 Campbell was named to the National Training Squad and he won three gold medals at the 1991 Canada Games. He competed internationally at the Olympics in 1992, 1994 and 1998. His medal in the short track men's relay in 1998 was the first time an athlete from Waterloo Region won gold at the Winter Olympics.
In 1995 Campbell set and then broke the world record for 500 metres. He was a member of the Canadian team from 1989 to 2000, and following retirement from competition, Campbell has been involved in coaching. He was team leader and coach for the United States Olympic team in 2006, and he twice received the Petro-Canada Coaching Excellence Award. Campbell was head coach of Canada's short track speed skating team for the 2010 Winter Olympics.
Campbell has been inducted into the Cambridge Sports Hall of Fame.
Campbell lives in Montreal, with his wife Cindy Overland, also a speed skater.
WILLIAM WILFRED CAMPBELL FRSC
William Wilfred Campbell, whose father was the rector of the Anglican Church at Berlin, where William was born, became one of Canada's most famous poets, and was recognized as the leader of the Ontario poets of his generation.
He attended the University of Toronto and the Episcopal Theological School, Cambridge, Massachusetts, and was ordained as a minister in the Church of England in 1886. He had a parish in New Hampshire and in 1988 became rector at St. Stephen, New Brunswick. He left the ministry in 1891 and entered the civil service.
His first volume of verse, Lake Lyrics, was published in 1889. He published five other books of poetry; four verse-plays; three novels and a descriptive work, The Canadian Lake Region, and edited the Oxford Book of Canadian Verse. Campbell was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada in 1893. One of his best-known poems was Indian Summer.
CANADIAN CURLING CHAMPIONS
Cam Seagram (Lead), Ernie Parkes (Second), Perry Hall (Vice-Skip) and Bert Hall (Skip) formed the Kitchener Granite Rink which was never defeated in Ontario British Consul competition and which in representing Ontario, won the MacDonald Brier Tankard in 1939 emblematic of the Canadian Curling Championship.
THE FIRST CANADIAN PACING DERBY
From 1936 to 1956 a major sports event in Waterloo County was the Annual Canadian Pacing Derby at New Hamburg.
Harness racing had become an increasingly prominent sport in Canada and the United States. Early in 1936 some sports and community-minded citizens of New Hamburg and surrounding area considered forming a racing club to utilize the track and park facilities in the village for organized racing meets.
On June 5, with thirty present, including several municipal officials, the New Hamburg Turf Club was formed. The elected executive raised the funds necessary to assure the initial success of the project, including the guarantee required by the Dominion Harness Racing Association to permit holding the annual Canadian Pacing Derby at the local track.
For many years the success of the Derby, that attracted thousands of spectators, permitted the Club to financially assist other community projects. Owing to the establishment of many new tracks in larger centres, the Club discontinued operations in 1957.
Serving in public life in Galt for 40 years after taking up residence in 1845 made Hugh Cant, the 1903 mayor, an authority on the town's early history. In 1915 he wrote an interesting brochure, "Historical Reminiscences of Galt." He was a native of Calcairn Mills, Rosshire, Scotland.
In early life, when horses were very numerous, Cant engaged in the harness and saddlery business and had a busy shop on Main Street. He then became a partner with his brother's Andrew and John, in the firm of Cant Brothers, a woodworking machinery company, from which he retired in 1890.
Cant was actively associated with the Galt Town Council, the Board of Trade, the Galt Collegiate Institute Board and the Public School Board. He was a director of the Gore Mutual Insurance Company from 1877 until his death in 1917, having become president four years earlier in 1913.
DOMINIC VINCENT PATRICK CARDILLO
Born in Guelph, Ontario, Dominic Cardillo - teacher, politician and man of the people - became a household name long before the City of Kitchener named a major ice hockey arena in his honour.
Cardillo worked as a secondary school teacher and coach from 1956 to 1965 at Kitchener Collegiate Institute, at Forest Heights Secondary School in 1964, and Laurel Vocational in 1968.
Cardillo ran successfully for Kitchener City Council in 1963, sponsored in part by a collection taken by his grade twelve students. He remained in office until his retirement in 1994. The longest-serving Mayor in Kitchener's history, Cardillo had many tributes awarded to him, including the naming of the Dom Cardillo Arena.
His service to the community was remarkable and included: director of the Canadian Association of Fire Chiefs; president of Big Brothers; secretary of the Kitchener Minor Hockey Association; member of two hospital boards; and eighteen years as a Hydro Commissioner. He helped raise funds for many local civic projects and charitable causes.
Known to attend all functions to which he was invited, Cardillo had the ability to remember names of everyone he met. He tirelessly promoted his city and its reputation, taking a fastidious interest in the cleanliness of its streets. Also known for passing out pens and lapel pins promoting the City, he was once photographed giving out pens in a rice paddy in Japan.
Florence Carlyle, born in Galt, was a relative of British author Thomas Carlyle. She studied art in Paris under three distinguished French artists and in 1898 established studios at London and Woodstock, Ontario excelling in landscapes, domestic interiors and portraits.
Her paintings were exhibited at Paris in 1893, and at the Chicago World's Fair, where she was awarded a silver medal. She was a member of the Royal Canadian Academy and the Ontario Society of Artists.
In 1899 she moved to New York City where she opened a successful studio. During the World War I she did hospital work in England and sold paintings to aid the Red Cross Society. She exhibited at the Royal Academy, London, the Royal Canadian Academy of Art, the Art Association of Montreal, the Canadian National Exhibition, and the Pan-American Exhibition.
Her paintings hang in the National Gallery of Canada, the Art Gallery of Ontario and the London, Hamilton and Woodstock galleries.
Carlyle died at Crowborough, Sussex, England at the age of 59.
JOHN FAYDEN CARMICHAEL
J.F. Carmichael, a distinguished educator, was born in Victoria County. He attended the Lindsay Collegiate Institute and on graduation from the Ottawa Normal School taught in several one-room schools before being appointed principal of Margaret Avenue School, Berlin, in 1905. He became principal of Suddaby School in 1910 and the first principal of Victoria School in 1912, where he remained until his retirement in 1937. The J.F. Carmichael School on Patricia Street was named in recognition of his outstanding contributions to elementary education.
In his teaching he particularly stressed character building and high ideals as desirable goals.
Carmichael also gave long and distinguished service to St. Andrew's Church in many areas. He served as a member of the Kitchener Public Library Board and as chairman of the Kitchener Public School Board.
In 1949, in recognition of his outstanding services to the Masonic Lodge, the Scottish Rite Association set up a Memorial Hospital Bed Fund to honour his memory.
Prophetic of scholastic abilities that would carry him far was Thomas Carscadden's achievement in obtaining at the age of sixteen, a first class teacher's certificate from the Toronto Normal School. He ultimately served as principal of the Galt Collegiate Institute from 1884 to 1914.
Carscadden, who was born in Durham County, taught in public schools, and continuing his studies, graduated from the University of Toronto in 1875. He began his career with the Galt Collegiate Institute in 1881, and thirty-three years later retired as principal but then served as assistant principal for ten years.
A believer in developing the whole man, he was a keen hiker, a lover of nature and an expert trout fisherman. He was active in the work of the Wesleyan Methodist Church.
JANET WISHART CARTER
Janet Wishart Carter, of Galt, was the first woman to graduate from the University of Toronto with a Master of Arts degree and the first woman teacher on the staff of the Galt Collegiate Institute. She had the distinction of receiving a decoration from King George for her outstanding contributions in the field of education.
Carter received her early education at Elora where her family lived for some time. She was appointed to the staff of the Galt Collegiate Institute in 1901 and to perfect her ability as a teacher of French, German and Spanish spent several summers studying in Europe.
She was the first president of the Galt Collegiate Institute Staff Players Club, organized in 1924, was an active member of the Little Theatre, and a member of the Galt Library Board from 1938-39. Her wide interests included the work of the Grenfell Mission to which she gave strong support.
JOHN CASSEL 1871-1910
JACOB CASSEL 1871-1909
Before the turn of the century, John and Jacob Cassel born in 1871, twin sons of Mr. and Mrs. Adam B. Cassel of Blenheim Township, Oxford County, gained considerable fame as tightrope and trapeze artists, and balloonists. They ascended to approximately 500 feet landing by parachute and gave many performances throughout Waterloo County.
The accomplished athletic brothers spent some time traveling with circuses in the USA and Jacob worked with a medicine show as a magician and sharpshooter.
In his early forties, John Cassel was injured in a fall which resulted in his death in 1910. He resided in Marion, Indiana, at the time of his accident. Prior to that, he had lived in Louisville, Kentucky, LaPorte, Indiana and in Alabama. John died on August 18, 1910 in Evansville, Indiana at the age of 38. He was buried in Louisville, Kentucky.
Jacob Cassel was also injured from a fall but only partially recovered. He spent time recuperating at his mother's house in New Dundee, and after several months, he continued to perform some of his stunts. He died at the age of 37 from a heart condition on April 14, 1909, the year before his brother died. He died while in Louisville, Kentucky but was buried in the Blenheim Mennonite Cemetery, outside of Washington, Ontario.
Bob Celeri, born in Fort Bragg, California, on June 1, 1927, attended the University of California at Berkley and was named an All-American football star in 1948 and 1949.
After playing for the San Francisco 49ers and the New York Yankee's he was signed by the Hamilton Tigercats in 1953. He joined the K-W Dutchmen the following year as quarterback and kicker. From 1954-60 he guided the K-W Dutchmen to the Ontario Rugby Football League senior title each year. He was named the league's Most Valuable Player four times.
Celeri was assistant coach of the K-W Dutchmen. He coached the Waterloo Lutheran University football team 1960-62 and the Junior Dutchmen team in 1963.
He was personnel manager for General Springs Products for fourteen years, before moving to Buffalo in 1968.
SAMUEL J. CHERRY
From the age of fifteen, when he became an apprentice in a gristmill at Dundas, until his death some sixty years later, Samuel Cherry was associated with flour mills. The Cherry Mill at Preston is the oldest continuing business in Waterloo County. The 1807 original "John Erb" mill was replaced by a frame mill in 1835, and the brick structure was erected in 1894.
At the age of nineteen, Cherry moved to Preston to work with the Abram Erb and Brothers Cambridge Mill, which he later owned. He subsequently had charge of mills at Dundas, Guelph, Glenmorris, Walkerton and Glendinning. In 1879 he and his brother John acquired the Preston mill and ten years later he became sole owner.
Cherry served the municipality as a member of the town council, chairman of the park board, as a member of the county council and as warden in 1906.
Thomas Chisholm was born in Melrose, Roxburghshire, Scotland in 1822 and immigrated to Upper Canada with his parents in 1832. The family settled in North Dumfries Township, Waterloo County.
Chisholm was a member of the third council of the Township of Dumfries. He served as Deputy Reeve of the Township in 1854-55, Reeve of the Township in 1856-59, a councillor in 1860, returning again as Reeve from 1862-64. He was elected Warden of Waterloo County in 1862. Later he became an Assessor, retiring in 1885.
He was a Director of the South Waterloo Agriculture Society, on the Board of Directors of the North Dumfries and South Wellington Fire Insurance Company, and a member of the Wrigley's Corners School Board.
Tom Clancy was born in Cargill, Ontario and received his Niagara Parks Diploma from the Niagara Parks Commission School of Horticulture in 1961 and a Bachelor of Science Degree from Cornell University in Ithaca, New York in 1968.
Clancy served as Director for 25 years from 1968 to 1994 and then as General Manager of the Community Services Department for six years from 1994 to 1999 for the City of Kitchener. During his time in Kitchener, he was an enthusiastic volunteer in coaching and administration of fastball, baseball and hockey with both minor and adult teams.
Clancy was a founding chair of the Ontario College of Recreationists, Past President and Life Member of the Ontario Parks Association, and Past President and Life Member of the Niagara Parks Commission School of Horticulture Alumni Association.
He served as volunteer Chair of the 2002 and 2006 International Softball Congress World Tournaments held in Kitchener and as Chair of fund raising in 2007. He has volunteered at numerous high profile sporting events in Waterloo Region and assisted with event planning for numerous organizations. Clancy is also Chairman of fund raising for a Legacy/Tribute Garden currently being constructed in the Niagara Botanical Gardens and he writes a regular column for the Ontario Parks Association magazine.
He continues to teach an Ontario Parks Association Management and Maintenance of Sports Turf Infrastructure course for workers in the sports facility maintenance industry across Ontario.
The family name of John Clare, an astute and forward-looking industrialist of Preston who came to Canada from Germany, was originally Klaar.
In his late teens he learned the moulding trade in a foundry in Buffalo, NY, and in 1843 was hired by Jacob Beck of Preston. A short time later he became Beck's partner.
In 1853 when the Great Western Railway was being built Beck said: "We must locate on the railway." Clare replied: "They will have to come to us eventually." Both proved to be right for the railway did go through Preston. Beck sold his interest in the flourishing firm which became John Clare and Company.
Several sons succeeded him in the business, one of whom, George became a member of Parliament at Ottawa and a member of the Cabinet.
A native of Galt and a lifelong district resident, Emerson Clark was an outstanding marksman.
In 1958 he won the Grand American Handicap championship for trapshooting, breaking ninety-nine out of 100 clay pigeons in competition against 2,400 marksmen. He is the only Canadian to have ever won this event which was staged annually at Vandahalia, Ohio. No one has ever won this event on more than one occasion.
Clark also won the Past Grand American championship, a competition which is limited to winners of the Grand American championship. On two occasions he won the highest Canadian trapshooting honours by winning the All Round championship of Canadian Indians competition. He also won the Ontario championship title several times during his career.
Harry Class was born in Kitchener where he received his swimming and diving training at the YMCA under the supervision of Harold Ballantyne and Tommy Armour.
In 1932 he won the Canadian Junior three-meter Diving Championship and was the Canadian Senior Men's three meter Diving Champion in 1935, 1936, 1938, and 1943. In 1935 he won the Canadian Senior Men's one meter Diving Championship. In addition, he was a member of the 150-yard medley relay team that broke the Canadian record by four seconds in 1938.
At the British Empire Games in London, England, in 1934, he won a Bronze Medal for Canada in the three-meter diving event. Along with his Canadian Championship in 1936, he won the Canadian Olympic Trials in three meter diving at Montreal.
Class won many other Provincial and YMCA swimming and diving championships, and also is a member of the Toronto Granite Club Hall of Fame and the Hamilton Aquatic Club Hall of Fame.
WILLIAM GIBSON CLEGHORN
W. G. Cleghorn was an important figure in early 20th century Berlin/Kitchener as an industrialist, politician, sportsman and civic-minded citizen.
He and partner Louis McBrine founded McBrine Luggage that became one of the world's largest luggage manufacturing companies. The company employed thousands of people from 1905 until the 1960s.
When the Four Wheel Drive Company came to Kitchener in the early 20th century, Cleghorn served as treasurer on its board of directors and he was prominent on the local Board of Trade.
In civic life, Cleghorn served on the board of the Berlin-Waterloo Hospital for five terms. He was an alderman on city council during the rancorous era of the Berlin-to-Kitchener name change of which he was in favor and spoke eloquently about during the debate.
It was on the sporting field that he also made a major mark. Scotty Cleghorn, as he was known in Ontario Lawn Bowling circles, helped the Berlin/Kitchener club capture several provincial championships and his team represented Canada at the British Commonwealth Games in 1934. He was also one of the first to introduce curling to the community.
EDWIN PERRY CLEMENT KC
E.P. Clement was a young law student in 1873 when he entered the office of Ward H. Bowlby, Waterloo County Crown Attorney. He was called to the bar a few months later and entered into partnership with Bowlby under the firm name of Bowlby and Clement. He was elected first secretary of the Waterloo County Law Association in 1895.
E.P. Clement, KC held retainers from many banks, insurance companies and other corporations, and was the Berlin solicitor. In 1907 he was appointed a county court judge at Windsor. After serving for a few months he resumed his law practice and became vice-president of the Mutual Life of Canada of which he had formerly been a director. He was president of the Company from 1908 to 1920.
Clement was responsible for organizing the YMCA in Berlin around the turn of the century.
Muriel Clement was born in Woodstock in 1895 and came to Berlin with her parents in 1910.
Hundreds of new Canadians who came to the Kitchener-Waterloo area from the 1930s to the 1950s owe a great debt to Clement for her work in founding and developing the Council of Friendship, of which, she was president for thirty years. Mutual understanding and brotherly love for all, regardless of race or creed she translated into action, breaking down barriers of language and prejudice for newcomers, helping them become established in their new homeland. In 1967 she was given the Centennial Award by the Kitchener-Waterloo Chapter of the Canadian Council of Christians and Jews for her work with the Council.
She taught physical training at the Kitchener-Waterloo Collegiate and in public schools, and in 1915 married William P. Clement, a noted Kitchener lawyer.
Clement also gave great service to the Women's Committee of the Kitchener-Waterloo Symphony Orchestra, for which she was made a life member, the Women's Canadian Club, and the Kitchener-Waterloo YWCA.
She was named Woman of the Year by the Quota club in 1949.
WILLIAM P. CLEMENT
William P. Clement, a native of Berlin, Ontario, served his community for many decades with distinction, especially as alderman for four years, and as Mayor in 1929 and 1930. In 1945 he played a prominent part in organizing the K-W Symphony Orchestra, in which he played the viola for twenty-five years. He was a Life Director of the Symphony.
He was educated in local schools, Victoria College of the University of Toronto, and Osgoode Hall Law School. After graduation, he entered into a law partnership with his father, E.P. Clement and his cousin, E.W. Clement. In 1936, he was appointed a Queen's Counsel, and in 1945 was elected a Bencher of the Provincial Law Society, of which he is a life member. He was secretary of the Berlin Board of Trade and for seventeen years was County Crown Attorney.
Clement served three local churches as organist: Trinity Methodist (now Trinity United), St. Andrew's Presbyterian and the Christian Science Church. He was an honourary member of the Kitchener Rotary and also a Life Member of Twin City Lodge, Masonic Order (A.F. & A.M.)
Goldie Cochrane was born in Berlin in 1882. His hockey career started in Berlin in the 1890s. In 1900 he joined the Berlin Senior team and later the Senior team in Galt. He was soon recognized as one of the game's finest players.
Those were the days of seven man hockey, with only two spares allowed, making it sixty minutes of action for most of the players.
In 1907 he left the area to play for Houghton in the Iron Mines Professional League in Northern Michigan. His hockey career ended when he joined the Canadian Army in 1914. He was wounded overseas and returned to Canada in 1918.
He located in Exeter, Ontario where for several years he coached teams in the Ontario Hockey Association.
A native of Scotland, Joseph Connell was raised in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario. He became a school teacher and president of the Ontario Teacher's Federation. He was president of the Sault Ste. Marie YMCA and was international director of the boys' work for Y Men for five years. In 1937, he received the King George VI medal for his work with young people and the blind. During World War II, he served in the RCAF.
In 1948, he became general secretary of the YMCA in Kitchener. It is estimated that 10,000 people learned public speaking techniques from Connell, who travelled extensively and made as many as 200 speeches each year. He was named Kitchener Citizen of the Year in 1959 by the Sales and Ad Club and in 1963 by the Kitchener-Waterloo Jaycees.
Connell was chairman of the Federated Appeal for twenty-five years and he was executive secretary of the Grand Valley Conservation Foundation. He was designated an Officer of the Fellowship of Honour of the national YMCA, received a meritorious service award from the Industrial Accident Prevention Association, a Canada Centennial Medal and an honourary Doctor of Laws from the University of Waterloo "for service to youth, industry and education".
JAMES WILLIAM CONNOR
James William Connor was one of Waterloo County's outstanding scholars and had the unusual distinction of graduating from the University of Toronto with first class honors in Classics at the age of sixteen.
At the age of eight he immigrated with his parents from Shillelagh, County Wicklow, Ireland, to Niagara Falls and already showing signs of a brilliant mind began the study of Latin at the St. Catharines Grammar School at the age of nine. He continued to excel in all his studies and served as principal of the Berlin High School from 1871 to 1901.
Connor was widely known as an outstanding scholar and teacher of
the Classics, English Literature, Sanskrit and other
Doug Consiglio was born in Toronto in 1964 and became a long distance runner while attending high school in Cambridge.
In 1986, Consiglio became the first Canadian to break the four-minute mile indoors at 3:55.91, and he also set a Canadian record for 1,500 metres. Through his career, Consiglio held seven Canadian records in five events. In 1986, he ranked second in the world for the indoor mile, and with his team mates at the University of Arkansas, established a world record in the distance medley. In 1988 Consiglio competed at the Olympic Games in the 1,500-metre event.
At the University of Arkansas where he earned a degree in biology, Consiglio was a seven-time All American. Consiglio went on to Auburn University where he obtained a masters degree in Science Education.
Consiglio is presently retired, living in Austin, Texas with his wife Katie, and their daughter. Previously he worked in various start ups in California's Silicon Valley and worked as a massage therapist before he retired.
JANE YOUNG COOPER
Jane Young was born and raised in Waterloo and is well known by the International tennis community.
Cooper was Canadian Junior National Champion, 1983 and represented Canada on the Junior National Team competing in many International competitions.
Cooper received a full athletic scholarship to the University of Mississippi and represented this NCAA Division 1 school as their #1 player from 1984 to 1988. During this time she participated in the NCAA tournament and was added to the southeastern Conference Scholar-Athletic Honour Roll in 1987. She graduated from the University of Mississippi with a Bachelor's in Business Administration.
She was Canadian National Women's Champion in 1985 and represented Canada on the Federation Cup Canadian National Team in 1985, 1986 and 1987. Cooper has won many tennis tournaments at the local, Provincial, National and International level throughout her amateur and professional career, one of which was the Professional Circuit of Michigan.
Cooper's professional career has taken her around the world playing all of the major championships including the US Open and she has earned many honors, including: Canadian National Female Sportsmanship Award in 1984, Federation Cup Tournament - Team Elegance Award in 1985, Certificate of Merit - Outstanding Young Citizen in 1986, Kitchener Waterloo Oktoberfest Woman of the Year, Tennis Canada Special Achievement Award and Tennis Teaching Professional Outstanding Service Award in 1987.
She returned to school after her tennis career and graduated from the University of Ottawa in 1995 with a Bachelor of Laws. She was called to the Degree of Barrister at Law in 1997 and has been working as an Assistant Crown Attorney since 1997 in the Waterloo Region.
She was married in 1997 to Mark Cooper and they are living in Waterloo.
Photograph Copyright David James Photography, Waterloo.
Jack Couch was born in Clinton, Ontario and at age seven moved to Kitchener with his parents. He received his education at Victoria School and Kitchener Collegiate and later entered the electrical field.
He became interested in athletics at an early age and at fifteen was playing senior baseball. Later, he managed and coached championship teams in Kitchener and Waterloo.
He was keenly interested in junior baseball and organized the Kitchener Dodgers, a junior team, in 1954. The team made the Inter-County finals ten times, winning seven titles. The Dodgers also won the Ontario honours in 1956.
Couch's playing days ended in 1947, two years after returning from service in the Navy. He not only played baseball but over a period of fourteen years played defence on Junior, Intermediate and Senior Hockey Teams.
In 1967 he was the recipient of the first K-W Annual Sports Celebrity Citation Award and retired from active sports participation in 1969.
GARY RICHARD COWAN
Born and educated in Kitchener, Gary Cowan, father of four, is an outstanding amateur golfer and has won many top flight tournaments in Canada and in the United States. He started his career at Rockway Golf Club as a caddy. In 1956 he won the Ontario Junior Championship and the Canadian Junior Championship. In 1964, 1968 and 1971 he won the Ontario Amateur Championship and in 1966 and 1971 the US Amateur. He was top Amateur in the Canadian Open in 1973. For many years he has been a member of the Willingdon Cup team and has been on every Canadian International golf team since 1959.
Cowan joined the sales staff of the Mutual Life of Canada in 1963, where he has been eminently successful. His personality and accomplishments have earned for him an enviable reputation in his home community, across Canada and in the United States.
James Cowan, a farmer from Cramilt, in the Lowlands of Scotland, settled in Waterloo Township in August 1834, and became one of the County's most distinguished agricultural authorities. From the 1860s to the 1880s his farm "Clochmhor" was well-known for its sales of purebred Leicester sheep and Shorthorn cattle.
Cowan was the first vice-president of the Agricultural Society of Waterloo County when it was founded in 1853 and was the first president when it became the South Waterloo Agricultural Society.
He was a representative of Waterloo Township on the District Council of Wellington from 1842-1849.
In 1853 he bought an interest in Lutz, Cook and Company, of Galt, manufacturers of woodworking machinery, which eventually became Cowan and Company in 1879.
Cowan served as a Reform member of Parliament for South Waterloo from 1861 to 1867 and was a member of the Federal Board of Official Arbitrators from 1869 to 1888.
JENNIE FERGUSON COWAN
Jennie Ferguson Cowan, a native of North Dumfries Township, and a historian, was educated at Mill Creek School, and Galt Collegiate Institute and graduated from the University of Toronto in 1926, with an Arts Degree in the Honour Course in Household Science. She was a teacher for seven years. Much credit is due Cowan for her enthusiasm in arousing public interest in the history of Waterloo County.
She was one of the earliest convenors of historical research and current events for the Women's Institutes in South Waterloo and London districts, encouraging at all times the assembling of records of local history.
A member of the session of Knox's Presbyterian Church in Galt, she was the writer of a large part of the church's history on the occasion of the centennial of the church building in 1969.
She stimulated research by the Waterloo Historical Society of which she was president from 1951-53. She was one of the early members of the Board of Directors of Doon Pioneer Village, and also of the Waterloo County Hall of Fame Research Committee.
After her marriage to Thomas D. Cowan in 1932, she lived at Clochmhor, the family farm since 1834, until the sale of the farm to the City of Galt.
WILLIAM J. COWLS
William J. Cowls was born in Cornwall, England, and moved to Kitchener-Waterloo in 1923. He worked for Mutual Life Assurance Company for forty-four years and was publicity manager when he retired. He held executive positions with various national and international insurance organizations.
An avid writer, he coauthored Mutual's centennial history, was editor for 14 years of Trinity United Church's quarterly newsletter and was a longtime editor of the Trefoil Literary Society's Grumbler. He wrote pageants for the City of Waterloo 100th anniversary and the Evangelical Church's 60th anniversary in Canada and published three books. He won numerous writing awards, including the IODE Ontario's short story contest and the K-W Little Theatre's play writing contest.
Cowls was associated for many years with the K-W Council of Friendship and helped hundreds of New Canadians adjust to life in their new country. In 1971 he was named K-W Citizen of the Year for his humanitarian work. W.J. Cowls: "The quiet moment of the Eye of the Artist but whose paints and colours were the spoken word."
Elsie Cressman, a native of Wilmot Township, was a well-known pioneer in the development and practice of midwifery. Locally, she was a key person in the establishment of St. Jacob's Midwives.
Cressman's pioneering work in having midwifery accepted as a profession laid the groundwork for midwifery programs at several Canadian universities. In Ontario, McMaster, Ryerson and Laurentian Universities all now offer Bachelor of Science degrees in midwifery.
Internationally, Cressman was instrumental in establishing and running a number of heath clinics in East Africa. Elsie organized a leprosarium on the shore of Lake Victoria at Shirati, Tanzania where she is credited with integrating leprosy patients back into their communities. Later, she started what became known as the Tom Mboya Memorial Health Centre, Kenya.
Cressman was awarded the Order of Ontario in 1994 and Oktoberfest Woman of the Year - Lifetime Achievement in 2010.
ISAAC S. CRESSMAN
Isaac Cressman's great-great-grandfather, Nicolaus Cressman, a native of Switzerland, emigrated to the United States at an early age. In 1806, Isaacs' father, Abraham Cressman, came to the Strasburg vicinity in Waterloo County, where Issaac, his seventh son was born. Isaac resided in the Cressman Homestead, located in a beautiful wooded area where there were a tremendous variety of trees. This unique area was known for a long time as Cressman's Woods, and now is designated Homer Watson Park. Great credit is due the memory of Cressman for his determination to keep for posterity this magnificent forest that had developed through countless centuries. Because of its uniqueness, part of the property was appropriately selected as the site of the Doon Heritage Crossroads.
Cressman married Barbara Schneider, a daughter of Jacob E. and Elizabeth Schneider, in 1854, and they had five children. On the death of his wife in 1865 he married her sister, Elizabeth. Eight children were born to this couple.
Many of Cressman's descendants live in and around Waterloo County.
LIEUTENANT-COMMANDER JAMES CROAL
James (Hamish) Patrick Croal was born in Galt (Cambridge) and educated in Scotland. He joined the Merchant Marine before the start of WWII, enlisted as an Ordinary Seaman and earned his commission in 1944.
Following the War, Croal pushed back Canada's Arctic frontiers. He was appointed Naval Observer for Exercise Muskox, the Canadian Army's cold weather training project. As a civilian with the Defence Research Board in Churchill, Manitoba, he studied ice conditions, behavior of vehicles and appropriate clothing and rations for military and scientific personnel operating in the Arctic. In 1948 he was a Canadian observer on American led expeditions to the Arctic when drilling tests were done for the construction of the Distant Early Warning (DEW) Line radar sites. This work resulted in Croal receiving a personnel commendation from the United States of America Secretary of the Navy.
In 1949, Croal joined the permanent force of the Royal Canadian Navy and was assigned to test survival equipment north of Churchill. He was on HMCS Labrador in 1954 when it became the first Canadian icebreaker to sail through the Northwest Passage, subsequently circumnavigating North America via the Panama Canal. He trained Canadian Army instructors in survival techniques and was a Defence Research Board consultant in a 1959 study of sea ice. In retirement Croal continued to work for the Defence Research Board in Ottawa, was a consultant to the Department of the Environment and to the Arctic Institute of Canada to which he was inducted as a Fellow.
KEVIN OVERLAND CROCKETT
Kevin Overland Crockett was born in Toronto in 1974 and grew up in Kitchener.
Crockett was a member of Canada's National Speed Skating Team for nine years. In the 1992-93 season, he was Canadian Junior Overall Champion and Canadian Senior Sprint Champion. In 1993, Crockett was the World Junior Record Holder in the 1000 metre event and he held the Canadian All-Time Record in the 3000 metre event.
At the 1998 Olympic Games in Nagano, Japan, Crockett won a Bronze Medal in the 500 metre event. In 1998 he finished fourth overall in the World Sprint Championship in Holland, also earning a Bronze Medal in the 1000 metre event. In 1997 and 1998 he won seven international medals at World Cup competitions.
In 1995 Crockett broke the World Record in the 1000 metre event with a time of 1.12.19 minutes. In 1997 Crockett broke the World Record in the 1500 metre event with a time of 1.49.07 minutes. In 1994 he was an alternate on the Canadian Team in the 1000 metre event at the Winter Olympics in Lillehammer, Norway.
Crockett's father Ernie Overland competed in speed skating, and
his sisters Amanda and Cindy have both competed nationally and
internationally in speed skating.
Photograph courtesy of The Record Photographic Negative Collection, University of Waterloo
JOHN B. CROZIER MD
John Beattie Crozier, a British philosopher, whose 1885 book Civilization and Progress reached a fourth edition and was translated into Japanese, was a native of Galt. He was one of the many natives of Waterloo County who achieved their fame in other parts of the world.
His father, Thomas Crozier, a stone mason who built a long stone cottage on Colborne Street, Galt, and his mother, were natives of Liddlesdale, Scotland.
Dr. Crozier attended Dr. Tassie's School. He graduated in medicine from the University of Toronto in 1872 and practiced in London, England.
In addition to Civilization and Progress he also wrote The Religion of the Future, Intellectual Development, My Inner Life (an autobiography), The Wheel of Wealth, Sociology Applied to Practical Politics and Last Words on Great Issues. He died in London, England.